Before you apply for a position, write a cover letter, go to an interview, or meet a recruiter at a career fair, it is important to know something about the company or organization. You will need to be able to express what you have to offer the company, how your skills fit their needs, and what interests you about the organization.
There are lots of resources with which to conduct your research. The company’s website, news reports, industry sites, as well as books and databases, can give you a good feel for the history and the goals of an organization. Read their annual report, find their mission or vision statements. This will help you determine whether this is a company you want to work for, and it will also help you formulate the questions you would like to ask in an interview.
Professional and trade organizations will also often have websites that can provide additional insight into the industry and the company - and may point you to other companies that are hiring!
The University Career Center maintains a library and files with company information, and our career coaches can help point you in the right direction if you are having trouble finding the information you need.
- The Riley Guide - information about searching the Internet for career information; includes help for targeting employers.
- Job Hunter's Bible - advice and information from Richard Bolles, author of "What Color is Your Parachute?"
Company and industry information
- KU Library Resources for Employer Research. Select "Research by Subject," then "Business," then "Company and Industry Information."
- Wetfeet.com - information on companies, careers, and industries; discussion, advice, newsletters and salary benchmarking tools
- Hoover's online - excellent resource for company and industry information. Check out companies for free in the A - Z directory. Some information from Hoover's is available only with a fee-based subscription to the service.
- Fast Company - search feature for information and articles about companies profiled in Fast Company Magazine.
- Glassdoor.com gives you an inside look at company reviews, interview questions, & salary information for thousands of companies.