Are you interested in pursuing a career that allows you to serve your local community, state, or country? Do you dream of positively impacting the lives of others by making the world a better place? Consider pursuing a career with a government office or a non-profit organization! There are limitless professional opportunities available for those looking to make a living while making a difference. This page highlights information and resources on working in federal, state, and local governments as well as in the non-profit sector. For additional assistance, contact the UCC to set up an appointment with one of our career coaches for one-on-one help: 785-864-3624.
Whether working for a local, state, or federal government employer, there are limitless career possibilities for individuals from every academic discipline and interest area. Careers in the public sector are rewarding on many levels: the work you will do impacts the lives of others, there are numerous opportunities for professional growth and advancement, and the pay and benefits are competitive with those found in the private sector. Below, you will find featured career resources selected by UCC staff to help you explore internships and jobs in public service.
If you desire a career that serves a "higher purpose" or "the greater good", you might explore career opportunities with non-profit organizations. Sometimes misunderstood, non-profits actually comprise a multi-trillion dollar sector of the US labor market and employ talented professionals from all academic disciplines and backgrounds. Whether planning fundraising events to benefit cancer research, advocating for human rights legislation, or traveling abroad to aid developing countries, there are limitless career opportunities that allow you to make a living while serving a cause you are passionate about. Explore the resources on the right to learn more about internships and jobs in the non-profit sector.
Government Staff Picks
- AmeriCorps - federal service program that supports US communities through education, public health, environmental, and anti-poverty initiatives
- Best Places to Work - ranking of governmental agencies based on employee evaluations
- D.C. Internship Directory - information on jobs and internships in the D.C. area, as well as helpful resources for relocating
- Inside Tips for Finding Jobs & Internships in D.C. - information and tips from organizations in D.C. visited by UCC staff this summer
- Kansas Civil Service Jobs - job board of current employment opportunities with the state of Kansas
- KCMO City Internship & Fellowship Programs - KCMO offers internships with local government offices as well as a fellowship program
- Local/Kansas Government Agencies and Contact Information - comprehensive spreadsheet of government agencies Kansas and the Kansas City area; includes links to SCEP, STEP, and FCIP programs.
- Making the Difference - provides federal career guides by interest area, searchable federal internship directory, and application tips for federal job seekers
- PeaceCorps - federal service program that currently sends US volunteers to serve abroad in over 75 countries; Connect with KU's PeaceCorps representative
- State & Local Government Directory - online directory of state and local government websites; search sites for employment information and job listings
- USAJOBS - application system for full-time, part-time, and internship opportunities with the US federal government
- USA.gov - directory of federal, state, and local government agencies and offices
- Where the Jobs Are - hiring trends for federal agencies
- Workforce Recruitment Program - federal internship recruitment program for students with disabilities
Non-Profit Staff Picks
- Change.org - online community that promotes public awareness and empowers action for a wide variety of social, economic, and environmental causes; includes a job board and career advice blog, Jobs for Change
- Chronicle of Philanthropy - a top journal for non-profit professionals; includes job listings and career information for new professionals
- Idealist - searchable database of non-profit organizations, jobs and internship opportunities in the US and abroad
- Greater Kansas City Community Foundation - searchable directory of Kansas City non-profit organizations
- Guide to Non-Profit Careers for First-Time Job Seekers - a free printable guide for those exploring careers in the non-profit sector
- National Council of Non-Profits - professional organization for non-profit organizations; includes industry information and job listings
- Non-Profit Connect - full-time, part-time, internship, and volunteer listings with non-profits in the KC-metro area
- Student Conservation Association - organization offering national park, greenspace, and cultural landmark internship opportunities
- Teach for America - alternative teaching certification program that places recent college graduates from a wide variety of backgrounds in teaching positions in urban and rural public schools