About Kansas Career Work-Study
The Kansas Career Work-Study Program (KCWS) is a state-funded program intended to provide off-campus employers with an incentive to hire KU students in career-related positions. The purpose of the program is, "to promote, stimulate and assist in the part-time employment of eligible students in jobs or positions of service that will complement and enhance the educational preparation of such students for a career" (K.S.A. 74-3274).
The KCWS Program assists employers by providing them with up to 50% of an eligible student employee's gross wages. A student's cost of attendance and the amount of financial aid received limit the amount that may be earned through KCWS.
(For information about the on-campus jobs Federal Work-Study Program
, please contact the Office of Student Financial Aid
To participate in the Kansas Career Work-Study Program, you must meet the following criteria:
Students are responsible for finding their own employment. A few KCWS positions are posted on the Part-Time Jobs Program website. However, students are encouraged to seek employment from businesses that are not yet KCWS participants.
- You must be recognized by the Office of the University Registrar as a Kansas resident.
- You must maintain a cumulative and a semester GPA of at least 2.0.
- You must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours during the fall and spring semesters. During the summer, you must be enrolled in at least 3 credit hours or be enrolled for the fall semester.
- You must have an officially declared major that relates to the position.
- You may not be an immediate family member of your employer.
(For information about the on-campus jobs Federal Work-Study Program, please contact the Office of Student Financial Aid.)
KU Student Application for KCWS
To participate in the Kansas Career Work-Study Program, employers must meet the following criteria:
Employers are responsible for interviewing and hiring eligible students. Before signing a KCWS contract, the employer must employ or be in the process of hiring an eligible student. Employers may advertise part-time positions for students on the Part-Time Jobs Program website.
- Have a FEIN (Federal Employee Identification Number)
- Be a Kansas business using a Kansas bank
- Be willing to act as the student's employer (students are not employed by our office)
The amount of the contract is based on the student's hourly wage, the estimated hours per week that the student will work, and the number of weeks that the student will work. Fifty percent of this amount will be reimbursed to the employer. If the estimate is too low, an amendment may be granted if funds are available.
Employers must submit invoices to KCWS at least once a month. It can take up to four weeks for the reimbursement check to arrive - it is to the employer's benefit to submit invoices in a timely manner.
KCWS Employer Guidelines
KCWS Employer Application
If you have further questions about Kansas Career Work-Study, please contact us at (785) 864-7664 or email@example.com.